European Commission – Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (EASME)
Programme for the Environment and Climate Action (LIFE)
Project coordinator, Emilio De Vita
(Città Metropolitana di Milano)
Direttore dell’Area Ambiente e Tutela del Territorio,
Tel. +39 02 77402286
Between 3rd September 2018 and 30th September 2021
What is Metro Adapt in short?
Metro Adapt aims at mainstreaming climate change adaptation strategies in the Metropolitan Area of Milan (CMM). More specifically, the project aims at fostering the creation of a common well-structured governance related to climate change adaptation among the local authorities and produce tools that allow local authorities to implement cost-effective climate change adaptation strategies and policies adapted to the local context.
An important part of the project is devoted to share and disseminate the project tools and good practices with the other Italian and EU metropolitan areas.
What are Metro Adapt’s objectives?
1. Mainstream the adaptation strategies and measures in the elaboration process of the CMM Territorial Plan and in the planning and building rules of the 134 CMM municipalities through an innovative approach identifying intermediate entities of governance (the 7 CMM Homogenous Areas);
2. Establish and promote Nature Based Solutions (NBS) according to a multi-objectives approach (flood risk and heat-island reduction, together with regeneration of neglected urban space) that enhance the technical knowledge required for their design and implementation of NBS at local level;
3. Enhance bottom up initiatives increasing citizens’ awareness and engagement on climate change adaptation strategies;
4. Make available disaggregated meteorological and territorial monitoring data and tools that contribute to the development of accurate vulnerability analysis of the 7 Homogenous Areas of CMM;
5. Develop a knowledge network of Italian and European metropolitan areas enhancing the mainstreaming of adaptation policies and Nature Based Solutions by sharing best practices, documentations and opportunities.